For the uninitiated, The Jersey Boys is a very successful and long-running Broadway musical loosely based on the story and featuring the music of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. This will be the first time ever a Broadway show has released it's own Christmas album.
For this Christmas release, stars were gathered from the various Jersey Boys casts around the globe, including Joseph Leo Bwarie (National Tour), Travis Cloer (Las Vegas), Rick Faugno (Las Vegas), Bobby Fox (Australia), Ryan Molloy (London) and Jarrod Spector (Broadway) – plus John Lloyd Young, who won the 2006 Tony Award for his portrayal of Valli in the original Broadway production. Bob Gaudio, one of the original Four Seasons and the writer of most of their hits, produced the album. Also on hand for the project were Pete Karam, who won a Grammy for his engineering of the original "Original Cast Recording", and Ron Melrose, who arranged the music for the Broadway musical. Speaking of arrangements, there are hat tips to the Four Seasons throughout the album, including strains of "Come On Marianne" and "Oh What A Night" in the album opener and echoes of "Bye Bye Baby" in "Winter Wonderland".
For those who want something to chew on while they wait for October 4th, there's always the original "Four Seasons Greetings" album featuring the original hit Four Seasons arrangement of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", "Christmas Tears" (a personal favorite), and a fairly traditional reading of "White Christmas" (the Jersey Boys promise a doo-wop Drifters' inspired version). And the cast has previously recorded a Christmas track or two as well...for the Broadway Cares "Carols For A Cure" series (though without that Bob Gaudio touch or full-on Four Seasons arrangements). You'll find a Jersey Boys take on "Oh Holy Night" on the 2006 album, "Dominick The Donkey" on the 2007 set, and a medley of "The Birthday Of A King" and "Go Tell It On The Mountain" on the 2008 edition. The Jersey Boys turn up on the volumes from 2005, 2009 and 2010 as well. Check em out.
Meantime, here's the track list for "Season's Greetings: A Jersey Boys Christmas" available for pre-order now through Amazon and wherever fine records are sold.
1. “Joy To The World/O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” – Ryan Molloy
2. “Winter Wonderland” – Rick Faugno
3. “Little Drummer Boy” – Joseph Leo Bwarie
4. “Santa Medley: (Santa Claus is Coming to Town/Here Comes Santa Claus/I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus)” – John Lloyd Young
5. “O Holy Night/Rise Up Shepherd” – Jersey Boys Ensemble featuring Mark Ivey, with soloists Michael Ingersoll and Tituss Burgess
6. “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen” – Bobby Fox
7. “Jingle Bell Rock” – Joseph Leo Bwarie
8. “A King Is Born” – Jarrod Spector
9. “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” – John Lloyd Young
10. “White Christmas” – Ryan Molloy
11. “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” – Jarrod Spector
12. “Angels From The Realms Of Glory” – Bobby Fox
13. “Silver Bells/Silent Night” – Travis Cloer
14. “Do You Hear What I Hear?” – Rick Faugno
15. “Breath Of Heaven/We Three Kings” – Travis Cloer
16. “Carol Of The Bells/Angels We Have Heard On High/
17. Auld Lang Syne” – Jersey Boys Ensemble featuring Joseph Leo Bwarie, Travis Cloer, Rick Faugno, Bobby Fox, Ryan Molloy, Jarrod Spector, John Lloyd Young and Erik Bates